[Radiance-general] Noise free rendering of simple sun/sky scene

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu Nov 8 07:31:32 PST 2007

Hi Claus,

I suspect that the noise you are seeing is a results of the -dj
parameter. There are a couple of things to note here:

   1. oversample the image - eg render at higher resolution (3x to 6x
      desired final resolution) and then downsample with: pfilt -r .6 -x
      /3 -y /3 oversample.pic > final.pic (this would reduce the image
      size 3x and apply a gaussian filter)
   2. reduce -dj setting - this will produce less sampling jitter, but I
      am not sure what your objective is here
   3. pseudo random monte carlo vs. random monte carlo sampling - when
      run with normal parameter settings radiance (rpict) uses pseudo
      random sampling, with this you may notice directionality or
      striation effects in the jittered samples, alternatively radiance
      can be run with uncorrelated sampling by using the -u switch, this
      will get rid of the directional effects but may require even
      greater oversampling to reduce sampling noise due to the random
      sampling

Hopefully this helps, I expect that you may get other input from the
list as well.

Regards,

-Jack de Valpine

Claus B. Madsen wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am new to this list .. and not all that experienced in using Radiance.
>
> I have problems determining render parameter settings that will
> produce an (almost) noise free rendering of simple scenes illuminated
> by a sky dome and a sun disk. I want to have soft shadows from both
> the sky dome (180 degree source) and the Sun (0.53 degree source). My
> .rad file is listed below. I realize that both sources (sky and sun)
> are "white" ... thats not the issue ... I am just sending the simplest
> form of the types of scenes I wish to render.
>
> I am rendering with these parameters, but the results are horrobly
> noisy, and I do not get soft shadows from the Sun:
> rpict -x 640 -y 480 -ab 2 -aw 0 -dr 3 -dp 4096 -ds 0.01 -dj 0.6
>
> I have the Rendering with Radiance book, but cannot really find a
> clear "how to" in terms of setting the parameters so that my picture
> comes out right.
>
> Hope I am not offending anybody by posting such a simple problem.
>
> Sincerely,
> Claus
>
> P.S. I am performing research in Augmented Reality and will be using
> my renderings in conjunction with techniques I have developed for
> estimating the Sun and the Sky radiances from images of real scenes. I
> will the render some simple geometry using Radiance and compose into
> the image with correct shading and shadows

> # Materials
>
> void plastic white_matte
> 0
> 0
> 5 1.0 1.0 1.0 0 0
>

> # Objects
>
> white_matte sphere ball4
> 0
> 0
> 4 0.0 0.0 2.0 2.0
>

> !genbox white_matte groundplane \
> 20 20 0.5 -r 0.08 | xform -t -10 -10 -0.25
>

> # Illumination environment: a 0.53 degree diameter disk and a
> # 180 degree skydome
>
> # The Sun ... radiance set to provide unity irradiance for
> # normal pointing right into the sun
> void light sunradiance
> 0
> 0
> 3 14880 14880 14880
>

> sunradiance source TheSun
> 0
> 0
> 4 -1 -1 1 0.53
>

> # The Sky ... radiance set to provide unity irradiance for
> # normal pointing right into the sky
> void light skyradiance
> 0
> 0
> 3 0.159 0.159 0.159
>
> skyradiance source TheSky
> 0
> 0
> 4 0 0 1 180.0

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction