Aw: [Radiance-general] RE: Sketchup exporter script

tbleicher at arcor.de tbleicher at arcor.de
Thu Nov 1 06:48:10 PDT 2007

Terrance McMinn wrote
> Hello All,
>
> Thomas you have made an excellent contribution to the radiance community
> with your SketchUP exporter. I assume this script would also work with
> the free Google Version of SketchUP as well. That software was of
> limited use to radiance modelling as it did not have the 3DS converter
> available in the PRO version.

Yes, of course. There would be no motivation for me to write a script
that doesn't work on the free version. But from the Ruby point of view
both versions are identical.

> A point here, for the Google SketchUP (free version) users would be for
> the user to manually modify the 'sky' file for location and orientation
> as that option works differently from the PRO version of SketchUP.

I am not aware of different settings between the two versions. The script
uses information stored in the 'location' and 'shadow' settings. You can
modify the sky appearance in SketchUp but I do not use this information
and don't even know if it's accessible via scripting.

> To this effect a couple of extra comments in the 'sky' file for the
> novices would be useful.

I can certainly add a few comments ...

About the interface 'design':

Sketchup has a very limited but simple dialog toolbox which is what I'm using
right now. It looks odd but it does the trick. More soffisticated dialogs are
possible with DHTML (JavaScript - the 'tip of the day' is an example for that)
but I won't start working on that before I have a good idea about which options
to present. And I have to be sure someone out there needs it because it would
be useless for me.

Regards,
Thomas

Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT FÜR ALLE NEUEINSTEIGER
Jetzt bei Arcor: günstig und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket
für clevere Doppel-Sparer, nur  29,95 €  inkl. DSL- und ISDN-Grundgebühr!
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-dsl-2