[Radiance-general] monitor model upload in Desktop Radiance

Thomas Seebohm tseebohm at architecture.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Mar 20 18:11:20 CET 2007

The general procedure that I would use is to run Desktop Radiance first
without the monitor in the scene and then to modify the files that
Desktop Radiance has produced to include the .rad file for the monitor.
If the .rad file for the monitor represents a monitor already
positioned at the right location in the scene (and of the right
dimensions) then one simply has to add the following line in the .rif
file:
scene = monitor.rad  and  to add the monitor.rad file to the list of
rad files that Desktop Radiance has already produced
Assuming the file is called monitor.rad

If the monitor is not scaled correctly and/or not positioned correctly,
then one must convert the monitor.rad file to an octree first by typing
the line,  oconv monitor.rad  > monitor.oct, at the  command prompt.
Next you need to create a new .rad file with this octree to position
and scale the monitor  correctly. This new text file would have the
following lines:
void instance monitor1
13 monitor.oct -s 1.0000 -rz 0.00000 -rx 0.0000 -ry 0.0000 - t 0.0000
0.0000 0.0000
0
0

where the number after the -s represents the scale factor
the numbers after the -rz, -rx, -ry represent the rotations (probably
in degrees)
and the three numbers after the -t represent the x,y,z translation of
the monitor to the right location in the scene
This new rad file should then be included with the list of rad files
that Desktop Radiance has already included and, as above, the following
line should be added to the rif file:
scene = monitornew.rad
where monitornew.rad is the new rad file.
In order to do this you will, of course, need to find out where Desktop
Radiance stored the files it created.
Lastly, after you have made all these changes, you need to run Radiance
from the command line rather than from the Desktop Radiance menu.
In know this sounds a bit complicated but only if you are doing it for
the first time. You do this by clicking on the last .bat file that
Desktop Radiance created.

Thomas