[Radiance-general] Modelling lightwell with translucent glazing

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:10:02 PDT 2007

Hi Derek,

I didn't see any responses to this query, so I guess it fell through
the cracks.  Sorry about that.  Some quick, feeble answers:

1.  Certain frits will transmit diffuse light, though imperfectly.
Note that an ideal diffuser will transmit 50% of the light and
reflect the other 50%.  To transmit more than 50% of the light, you
will necessarily deviate from a Lambertian (diffuse) distribution.

2.  If you choose a dense enough frit for Lambertian diffusion, then
a diffuse transmission/reflection model will suffice by definition.
A reasonable diffuse transmission to expect is around 40% for a good
quality frit, and about the same for refleciton.

3.  You will run into problems if you don't use the mkillum command
and manually identify your sources.  See the basic tutorials in
"Rendering with Radiance" on appropriate application.

-Greg