[Radiance-general] mkillum settings - borrowed light

Terrance McMinn T.McMinn at curtin.edu.au
Tue Feb 20 06:04:52 CET 2007

I have a simple two room project with substantial sunshades on the outer
windows. The second room is only lit via 'borrowed' light at the top of
the wall between the two rooms.

My question is: "How to use mkillum with different parameters for the
two sets of windows using rad?"

For the outside windows, genrad suggests a ground ambient level of 68.5
thus I would need to specify an -av 68.5 68.5 68.5, -ab 1 and possibly
s=16 d=8.

For the internal windows, which can be seen through (to the ceiling of
the other room) I am not sure as to the av settings. Tests using the av
68.5 settings, while giving a good gradient, have an odd bright band on
the ceiling, so I assume the av would need to be lower - how to
determine that value or do you simply leave it out.

As I am using trad/rad I want to embed the commands within the window
rad file rather than in the rif 'mkillum=' line. Reading the man page
for mkillum, it suggests that these options can be embedded but have had
no success to date.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Terrance Mc Minn