[Radiance-general] Re: Radiance-general Digest, Vol 38, Issue 14

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Thu Apr 26 17:31:02 CEST 2007

Mark de la Fuente wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Rob is pointing you in the right direction.  But be careful when you
> wrap the fixture in an illum box as the light output may be quite
> right.  It's been a while since I've had to do this, but I recall
> having issues with "flatcorr" and "lboxcorr" in my brightdata
> definitions (created by IES2RAD).  I'm not sure where these are
> documented, but I'm sure other functions are used for spheres and
> rings.  I believe the sphere option is the easiest to work out, but
> only works if you can wrap your fixture in the illum sphere and the
> sphere does not bisect geometry.  In my case I've had to work out
> linear fluorescent pendants which have required a box.
Yeah, like I said, it's far from straightforward.  =8-)  Mark is right,
the sphere is easiest, but since the illum enclosure must completely
contain the luminaire geometry, it's not the best choice for a long
skinny thing like a fluorescent strip.  The sphere ends up so big you
introduce inaccuracies.  So those cal files lboxcorr and flatcorr take
the ies2rad .dat output -- which is essentially a point distribution --
and wraps it around more apporpriate geometry: a box in the case of
lboxcorr, (for a linear pendant fixture) and a flat rectangular polygon
in the case of flatcorr (for say a recessed fixture where the luminous
aperture is a single plane).

- Rob Guglielmetti