[Radiance-general] remove light probe image from background

Katja Doerschner doers003 at umn.edu
Thu Apr 19 22:14:14 CEST 2007

Hi Rob,
Thank you for your suggestion.
I tried something like that before, and encountered an interesting
artifact (well maybe not so interesting).
I have a perfectly specular object illuminated by a light probe. In a
second image I used the same shape but made the object glow
(material) and the environment black - This created something like a
mask. Then I wrote a small program which picks all the non-black
pixels in the mask and replaces them with the content from the first
(specular) image.
To my surprise these shapes never matched up perfectly, the mask
created with the non-specular material was always a few pixels bigger
than the specular shape, as a result there were always a few
background pixels selected. I tried other materials in combination
with different lights(ambient etc) - always encountering the same
problem.

katja

On Apr 19, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Fitzsimmons, Rob wrote:

> I've done it by creating a duplicate scene (your rif file) and
> subsititute a overcast gensky (just something that will make the
> sky white, change all your materials to black with no specular.
> Then render with -ab 0 - to get a black and white "mask" Render
> will not take long with no bounces.
> I've then converted the mask pic to a standard ldr tiff - use it in
> photoshop as a masking layer.
> You could also do it with the original hdrs through pcomb - you'd
> have to check the manual on that.
>
> Rob F

Katja Doerschner
University of Minnesota