[Radiance-general] Help:Setting up a radiance system

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Fri Apr 6 16:58:21 CEST 2007

Hi!

>  I installed radiance through synaptic package manager. However if you
>  are implying that a user defined configs could allow root access,
>  that's an exploit I've never heard of. I will revise my .bashrc to
>  side with caution.

No, it is not about root access. I tried to describe how such a
configuration can be used to get code executed with your user rights.
This can still cause trouble. And as it is not necessary at all to have
./ in a PATH, I added this comment to you posted setting.

>  *.lum *.vf *.norm *.vp etc..

I have to guess as I do not have te possibility to check this right now.
lum should be luminaires (in in whatever format, open with a text
editor, might be IES pr radiance), vf is a viewfile, norm is something I
do not know now, and vp should be viewpoints, most probably for an
animation.

>  any link to a consise descriptions of these files would be of help
>  because running the *.rif I found in the lib folder generate errors
>  from missing files or includes.

This sound much more like you are still having a problem with the
environment variables. Can you post te errors you get?

Good luck ;-) Lars.