[Radiance-general] Help:Setting up a radiance system

steve michel smichel_designer at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 15:06:21 CEST 2007

Lars

I installed radiance through synaptic package manager. However if you are
implying that a user defined configs could allow root access, that's an
exploit I've never heard of. I will revise my .bashrc to side with caution.

In the meantime searching the installed radiance files I noticed what may be
examples I would like to test to make sure everything works as expected. One
such is 'office' and 'cabin' located in the "/usr/share/radiance/obj"
folder. Before all that is feasible,  some clarifications to files types are
needed. Ideally, I would like to locate the example files into a user
project directory rather than system folders. And make sure any
procedurales, lighting, and materials files are in the share folder.

The http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/refer/ray.html#Auxiliary flowchart
doesn't show the file types in use.

*.lum
*.vf
*.norm
*.vp etc..

any link to a consise descriptions of these files would be of help because
running the *.rif I found in the lib folder generate errors from missing
files or includes.