[Radiance-general] ambient resolution and memory

Carsten Bauer captainb at cb-d.de
Sat Sep 16 02:33:23 CEST 2006

Hi Greg,

no problem, it's allright with me :-) (I caught that phrase once in a
Phillip Marlowe movie ..)

The whole Radiance suite is simply too inspiring not only in terms of
application, but also in terms of experimenting with the code base and
with modifications and addons, as to leave all these paths untreaded.
But I couldn't agree more that all this must not have an influence on
the reliability and validation of the original code base.

And the whole point of physically realistic simulation definitely is not
an easy one, I don't mean the technical/software part right now, but the
expectations it can generate on the users side. Ok, everyone knows the
phrase 'garbage in, garbage out', but in reality life isn't that simple.
There are a lot of different steps between 100% rubbish and 100%
accurate, and accuracy itself is a relative term, accurate with respect
to which criteria? And sometimes it occurs to me like a two sided medal,
what makes Radiance so unique and useful in many fields of application,
makes it also unnecessarily difficult and restraint in other cases,
especially for those applications it wasn't made for originally :-),
regardless of the fact that it is nevertheless used for them. And that's
the interesting point then, stepping further or in different directions
without losing the contact to the roots.

many greetings
-Carsten

PS: Thank you for appreciating the radzilla branch. I mean, without your
work this would not be possible :-). The latter is evident of course,
but still worth to be mentioned.