[Radiance-general] Acad2004 Exporters?

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Thu Sep 7 18:35:39 CEST 2006

Hi Rob,

To elaborate on Polytrans a bit. A problem with the dwg import is that
it is based on OpenDWG, which is perfectly fine for non-solid entities.
However ACIS is proprietary, so the reverse engineering in the dwg
import option is far from perfect in my trials. I have corresponded with
Robert Landsdale at Okino, he is of the mind that the "right" way to do
conversion of solid geometry is by exporting ACIS data from Autocad and
then importing with one of their special modules (additional cost), one
of which is reverse engineered and the other uses a fully licensed ACIS
library. I have no clue though whether surface geometry would get
exported via the acis option in Autocad. And further I do not have a
sense for what resulting geometry grouping/organization would be. I know
that we depend on Autocad layering as a material/organizational strategy.

Some additional food for thought. The folks who sell OBJ Export have a
whole slew of cad geometry import export tools. They are based out of
India and I believe are quite able to develop custom applications if
needed....

-Jack