[Radiance-general] aspect ratio problem

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Sep 7 12:56:36 CEST 2006

> I render for PAL anamorphic ( 16:9 - 720x576 ) video.
> I use option -pa 1.42  in both rpict and pfilt for setting the proper
> aspect ratio. The output resolution is 720x576.
> The resulting image indicates (using getinfo) an aspect ratio 1.42 as
> expected.
> But  the result of a radiance image converted using ra_tiff  seems to be
> a tiff file with square pixels (aspect ration 1:1).

I think you should not use -pa at all (or at zero). You can use it if
one pixel is not like a "square", to correct. But in your case, the
pixels have an aspect ratio of about 1/1, so the -pa setting results in
a picture stretched just as far as to get a square picture. In other
words: the aspect ratio of the image is determined by vv and vh (or the
resolution), the pa setting is for the pixel aspect ratio. That is at
least how I understood -pa....

CU Lars.