[Radiance-general] perforated lamellas

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 01:06:24 CET 2006

Hi Friedemann,

I was hoping someone else who knew more about this material might
respond, but maybe no one does...

If you want an accurate model of this material, you need to use the
geometric cross-section and the material properties to create an
analytic estimate of the integrated light transfer.  In other words,
it ain't easy.  Better still, you would obtain measurements of the
angular transmission of the material, but this poses an even greater
challenge.

A couple of years ago, Visarc hired me to create a mathematical model
of transmission through a grid structure, simulated as rectangular
holes in a diffuse structure.  The associated calculation is
contained in grating.cal in the standard distribution.  If your holes
are oval rather than rectangular, this won't be as accurate, but it
might be a start.  If your surface is specular and you wish to
capture the change in specular reflectance with angle, more work is
needed.

-Greg