[Radiance-general] Radiance documentation organization

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 03:08:32 CEST 2006

I promised at the Leicester workshop to propose a hierarchy for
extant Radiance documentation, sort of a straw man to get people
thinking about this.  I strongly encourage others to rearrange these
topics, change names, add categories, etc.

Thinking about it for a bit, I opted for a functional organization
over an application-based hierarchy, simply because so many tools and
techniques are common to different applications, and I was trying to
keep the organization as tree-like as possible, realizing that this
goal is basically unachievable.

Caveats aside, here's what I have:

I. Input
	A. CAD links and conversion tools
	B. Photometry & Sky models
	C. Generator programs
	D. Scene processing (xform, replmarks, oconv, etc.)

II. Computation
	A. Rendering (batch & interactive)
	B. Illumination calculations
	C. Executive programs (rad, rayfront, etc.)

III. Output
	A. Image processing
	B. Image viewing
	C. Image format conversion
	D. Graphing & plotting

In addition, I suggest we include an alternate arrangement of
tutorial materials, which necessarily bridge these functional
boundaries.  I am hoping others can offer suggestions for how these
should be organized, as I don't even have a good list of tutorials
available.

Some thought should also be given to how one might organize materials
from the Radiance workshops.  Again, the basic categories above will
be bridged or extended by many of the talks, and the chronological
arrangement we now have is of less and less use as time goes on.

Help, please!