[Radiance-general] 3.8 Falsecolor Scale

John Mardaljevic jm at dmu.ac.uk
Sat Nov 11 13:25:34 CET 2006

Rob,

> expect blue to represent the lowest and
> red to represent the most intense values

I beg to differ.  When I first decided on a false-colour scale (quite
some years ago) I had about 15 to choose from in IDL (data analysis/
visualisation package similar to MATLAB).   The one they called
"gamma" (black-blue-red-orange-yellow-white) seemed a natural since
it corresponded to my expectations (i.e. cold through to hot).  I've
been using it ever since.  I clip the scale to go from the brightest
blue through to yellow.  I clip at the low end because part of the
black to blue transition looks a little too close to the blue-red
transition.  White at the top is removed so that high values in
figures wouldn't bleed into background white paper on hard copies.
Example:

http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm/pickup/pipe_figure.pdf

I certainly prefers Greg's new scale to the previous version.
However I will continue to use my gamma scale even though it offers
less discrimination than Greg's new scale.  I guess I just prefer a
simple thermal scale.  The only other scale I use in IDL is a red-
green-blue scale whenever I need to show values either side of zero
(e.g. the difference between two images).

I suspect the red=high expectation originates with the common
red=danger/warning usage.  Plus the fact that the red light in a
traffic signal is always at the top (any exceptions?).  These are of
course uses of colour in a discrete rather than continuous sense.
Indeed, whilst red=danger etc. does lead to an expectation that red
should be the colour for the most intense values (i.e. at the top), I
don't believe that there is any intuitive expectation for what should
be below [1].  Or, how the transitions should look.  The rainbow
scale provides a "natural" solution of sorts.  However, despite a
training in physics and a familiarity with the progression of colours
in a rainbow, I still find the thermal scale more of an intuitive
progression than the rainbow scale.  Whilst I don't see too many
examples I'm not entirely alone in having this preference: the false-
colour scheme used in ECOTECT seems similar.

-John

[1] Those familiar with Doppler broadening of spectral lines (where
the line is both red and blue shifted) excepted.

Dr. John Mardaljevic
Senior Research Fellow
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK