[Radiance-general] 3.8 Falsecolor Scale

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Fri Nov 10 21:34:35 CET 2006

Hi Greg,

Well, I have been using the new falsecolor scale (in conjunction with
that very cool vwrays trick you developed with John M. to render
non-planar clipping "planes" a while back -- very nice!!!), and I have
to agree with Axel that it's very unusual.  While I totally applaud the
effort to provide more color points from which to pick off values, there
are a couple of issues I'd like to point out:

First off, everyone I've ever "trained" in the use of these images and
indeed most lighting professionals who are facile with the
interpretation of these images expect blue to represent the lowest and
red to represent the most intense values.  I'm not up on color spaces
and indeed even have partially "defective color vision", as the FAA
kindly calls it, but my brain seems to understand a low-to-high
intensity progression of blue-cyan-green-orange-red.  It makes sense to
me, but more importantly it's what I've been generating (and teaching)
for years.  So to force my brain to remember that blue now trumps
magenta in intensity has been a bit of a trick this morning.  I wonder
what the impact will be with clients already versed in the
interpretation of the older scale of these images.

Second, I have generally overcome the limited color range by playing
with scale limit and logarithmic mappings whenever a more finite scale
is required.  This often limits the usefulness of the scale range to a
specific area of interest in the image, perhaps a wall with a subtle
luminance gradient that I wish to study, but it works.  I agree it's
more work, but again it successfully applies the currently-accustomed
color scale to a fine-grained area of interest.

I propose two solutions to this.  One, re-ordering the colors to better
fit the old scale, at the very least putting blue at the bottom and red
back at the top, spectral/thermal realities notwithstanding.  Two, give
the user an option of using the old scale or the new one.  Like I said,
I think the additional colors help, and maybe your new scale really is
superior, once a little adaptation occurs; the option to use either
scale might ease that transitional process.  Thoughts?

- Rob G.