[Radiance-general] another water question

John Mardaljevic jm at dmu.ac.uk
Thu May 25 16:41:08 CEST 2006

Nick,

> Is there a material to use that gives properties
> closer to water than glass? If so, I’d love to hear
> about it.

If, as seems likely, it is just the specular component of reflection
that's required, and if that is governed more by the refractive index
of a transparent material than anything else, then I'd suggest that
you try using glass again but set the refractive index to that of
water, i.e. 1.33.  You have to set the (rarely-used) fourth argument
for glass:

             mod glass id
             0
             0
             4 rtn gtn btn ref_indx

This is very much a guess -- suggestions from someone who actually
knows what he/she is on about welcome.

-John

Dr. John Mardaljevic
Senior Research Fellow
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK