[Radiance-general] gloss and area light source rendering problem

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Mon May 22 14:29:16 CEST 2006

Hi Xian,

Interesting surface geometry you have there. Based on your material
description though the results you are getting seem to be fine. The
so-called "noise" that you are seeing is the specular highlights based
on the material that you defined. The plastic material that you defined
only has a specular component you have left the roughness parameter set
to 0, thus you material is "shiny" so you are getting the tightly
defined specular highlights on the bumps of the geometry.

If you want a "glossy" (not sure exactly what you mean here as this
covers a variety of things) finish, then you should add a roughness
parameter, for example, you could try out the following for starters
(this is not based on anything in particular) to see what the difference is:

The bumpy surface is made of the following material:
void plastic gray_plastic
0
0
5 .2 .2 .2 .1 .1

I would try this out with the parameters that you have and see what you
get. As an additional experiment you may also want to turn on true
random monte carlo sampling by setting -u+, though this may require that
you oversample your image at a higher size.

-Jack

PS - what does the geometry represent?