[Radiance-general] a note of thanks

John Mardaljevic jm at dmu.ac.uk
Fri May 19 14:31:06 CEST 2006

Chris,

> i have a question to the group if anyone would be kind enough to
> answer it.
> my boss has told me to look at gettin a CAD program to use in
> partnership with
> radiance, specifically AutoCAD. does anyone know where i can get
> this, and if
> it is wise to do so? or alternatively can anyone recommend any
> other CAD
> programs? im using radiance on a linux system as a point of note.

Hard to make any sort of recommendation without knowing what you
intend to model.  Unless you are already up to working speed with
AutoCAD, you may find that it is much easier to learn how to use
Radiance scene generators to create the model than it is to learn how
to use AutoCAD.  The 3D models for these (now ancient) scenes were
all created using scripts (images at the foot of the page):

http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm/resources.html

The Radiance book gives lots of examples on creating geometry using
scripts etc.  I'd certainly recommend considering this approach in
the first instance.

-John

Dr. John Mardaljevic
Senior Research Fellow
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK