[Radiance-general] RGB values for different glazings

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Mon May 1 16:59:00 CEST 2006

Jack de Valpine wrote:

> Probably the best way to get a more sophisticated material description
> for a specific glazing make-up is to export glazing specs from Optics
> one at a time (ie the glass used for surface 1/2 as one export and the
> glass used for surface 3/4 as another export) and then use the RGB and
> specularity values with the glaze.csh script that comes with Radiance.
> The script will enable you to output a more sophisticated material
> definition that better accounts for angular dependencies in the
> material. Note that the geometry is normal dependent, requiring that
> the glass geometry be modeled with the normal being pointed to the
> interior of the building (hope I got this right, I am working off
> memory here).

Hi Jack,

I forgot all about glaze!!  Thanks for the reminder.  I also had no idea
that Greg added the ability to read in files; this makes it infinitely
more useful. I assume you simply take all the glazing/coatings you want
and export each to a radiance file from Optics5, and then feed them to
glaze with the -f switch, huh?  That's great, you guys.  Thanks again to
Greg for the work, and Jack is being very modest in his post by
mentioning the tool but not mentioning the fact that his company funded
the work.  Thanks to you both.

And yes, the normal should face into the building. (the script actually
throws up a nice little ASCII section for reference. =8-)

- Rob