[Radiance-general] RGB values for different glazings

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Mon May 1 16:19:35 CEST 2006

Hi Ramana,

John and Rob have mentioned two great resources from LBNL:

   1. Window
   2. Optics

I have more experience with Optics so I am not that sure of the data
export capabilities from Window. I believe that Optics is the standard
tool that is used to derive all the performance data for the glazing
manufacturers such as Viracon and that this data is then fed into
Window. Optics does have a facility for exporting Radiance material
descriptions. Depending on your requirements though these will not be
sufficient.

Probably the best way to get a more sophisticated material description
for a specific glazing make-up is to export glazing specs from Optics
one at a time (ie the glass used for surface 1/2 as one export and the
glass used for surface 3/4 as another export) and then use the RGB and
specularity values with the glaze.csh script that comes with Radiance.
The script will enable you to output a more sophisticated material
definition that better accounts for angular dependencies in the
material. Note that the geometry is normal dependent, requiring that the
glass geometry be modeled with the normal being pointed to the interior
of the building (hope I got this right, I am working off memory here).

Hope this helps.

-Jack

Ramana Koti wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I need to model my building with glazings (from the Viracon Insulating
> glass list) with different visible transmittances such as 65%, 58%,
> 54% etc.
>
> How do I obtain the RGB values based on the visible transmittances for
> each glazing? Please help.
>
> Regards,
> Ramana.
>
> --
> Venkata Ramana Koti
> MS in Building Design (Energy/Climate)
> School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
> College of Design
> Arizona State University, Tempe AZ 85287

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction