[Radiance-general] Re: platforms in use for Radiance

Lars Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Fri Mar 24 17:42:08 CET 2006

Hi Peter!

> http://www.radiance-online.org/survey1/survinput.html has been there
> since Jan 2005, but presumably remained largely unknown.

I knew it (my "again" was for that ;-), but I did not know that is is still
going on.

> Maybe I should split "package type" into MacOS, Linux (IMHO splitting it
> into dists won't generate much insight) and Unix-other.

And the Windows guys that are brave enough to visit radiance-online... :-)

One problem I see with this type of ongoing polls is that the results do not
reflect a certain time. E.g. I guess I entered using Linux and being in an
academic environment at the time. This both changed, but I cannot edit,
while the poll is going on and there are still new entries added. So I
prefer a time-limited poll to reflect the community at one certain time or
something more dynamic (editable and thus correctable) to reflect always the
most recent state. This is quite a bit of work of course, the Linux Counter
Project is an example for such an approach.

On the other hand, the most interesting ressource for these issues is the
mailing list, the questions and contributions posted show a lot of the
useage, maybe more then a poll will ever show.

CU Lars.