[Radiance-general] lighting fixtures data

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 19:50:49 CET 2006

Hi Will,

I think your problem is in "source_pic.cal":

mr(r,g,b) = r;
mg(r,g,b) = g;
mb(r,g,b) = b;

myu = Px/128;
myv = Px/128;

First off, you are using Px as indices for both u and v picture
coordinates, which is bound to be wrong.  Second, you should probably
be using something based on the ray direction rather than the
intersection point, which is with the light source surface and
unrelated to the output distribution.  Something more along the lines
of:

myu = atan2(-Dx, Dz)/(20*DEGREE) + 0.5;
myv = atan2(Dy, Dz)/(20*DEGREE) + 0.5;

The above assumes that your light is pointed in the negative Z
direction (as it seems to be) and that your distribution is oriented
with the horizontal scanlines along the X-axis in world space.  It
also assumes that the picture is square and covers 20 degrees
horizontally and vertically.

A paper that covers this idea in great detail, including local
photometry modelling, is:

	M. Goesele, X. Granier, W. Heidrich, and H.-P. Seidel
	"Accurate Light Source Acquisition and Rendering"
	SIGGRAPH '03
	<http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~heidrich/Papers/Siggraph.03.pdf>

-Greg