[Radiance-general] Radiance on Cygwin: Starting problems

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Sun Mar 5 00:24:46 CET 2006

Hi,

The oconv error probably relates to a problem in the scene definition
for the room. Unfortunately I do not have the book handy so I cannot
check description. I would suggest double checking against what is
indicated in the book.

Since the scene does not compile (oconv: fatal ....) you will not be
able to rvu it anyway. It also sounds likely that you do not have X
installed with Cygwin. I would suggest checking to see of X was
installed as part of the cygwin installation. If not you should be able
to run through the cygwin setup program to get additional
programs/software such as X.

-Jack

Ramana Koti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a graduate student at Arizona State University and I am going to
> use Radiance for my thesis. The computer maintenance guy at school
> here helped me install Cygwin on my notebook computer and Radiance on
> top of it. I have just begun to learn Radiance and when I input a
> simple room as specified in the Introduction chapter 1.3.1 of the book
> "Rendering with Radiance" by Greg Ward Larson and Rob Shakespeare, I
> get the following errors:
>
> $ oconv room.rad > test.oct
>  oconv: fatal - <room.rad>: unknown type "bright"
>
> $rview -vp 2.25 .375 1 -vd -.25 .125 -.125 -av .5 .5 .5 test.oct
> I get a windows pop up error message saying rvu.exe - Unable to locate
> component, This application has failed to start because cybX11-6.dll
> was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
>
> I used the NoteTab Light text editor to create the file room.rad.
>
> Any advice on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated. If somebody
> with working knowlege of Cygwin/Radiance lives around
> Tempe/Phoenix/Mesa (Arizona State), I would like to get my notebook
> computer to you to make sure everything needed is installed properly.
> Please help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Venkata Ramana Koti
>
> MS in Building Design (Energy/Climate)
> School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
> College of Design
> Arizona State University, Tempe AZ 85287

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction