[Radiance-general] Radiance on Cygwin: Starting problems

Ramana Koti ramana.koti at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 00:11:43 CET 2006

Hello,

I am a graduate student at Arizona State University and I am going to use
Radiance for my thesis. The computer maintenance guy at school here helped
me install Cygwin on my notebook computer and Radiance on top of it. I have
just begun to learn Radiance and when I input a simple room as specified in
the Introduction chapter 1.3.1 of the book "Rendering with Radiance" by Greg
Ward Larson and Rob Shakespeare, I get the following errors:

$ oconv room.rad > test.oct
 oconv: fatal - <room.rad>: unknown type "bright"

$rview -vp 2.25 .375 1 -vd -.25 .125 -.125 -av .5 .5 .5 test.oct
I get a windows pop up error message saying rvu.exe - Unable to locate
component, This application has failed to start because cybX11-6.dll was not
found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I used the NoteTab Light text editor to create the file room.rad.

Any advice on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated. If somebody with
working knowlege of Cygwin/Radiance lives around Tempe/Phoenix/Mesa (Arizona
State), I would like to get my notebook computer to you to make sure
everything needed is installed properly. Please help.

Regards,

Venkata Ramana Koti

MS in Building Design (Energy/Climate)
School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
College of Design
Arizona State University, Tempe AZ 85287