[Radiance-general] lighting fixtures data

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 14:15:18 CET 2006

> From: william reynolds <william.reynolds at oriel.ox.ac.uk>
> Date: March 3, 2006 8:01:21 AM EST

> I dont quite understand how you would get the data into radiance
> though - the only idea I can think of at he moment would be to
> somehow convert the pixel brightness information into a .dat file
> that you then used with a source as normal. So I guess you would
> need to turn the photo into .pic file, and then somehow extract the
> pixel brightness data into another file and interpret it, perhaps
> converting it to ies format? or even stright to .dat?
>
> am i wildly out, or somehow along the right lines. i'm thinking on
> my feet, and there my well allready be something with in radiance
> to do all this!

It's even simpler, since you can use a Radiance .pic file (a.k.a. an
HDR image) in a colorpict primitive with a simple coordinate mapping
to get the output distribution directly.  This takes less memory and
less file space than converting it to a .dat file, with no loss in
accuracy.

For more info on HDR, check out the HDRI list on www.radiance-
online.org.