[Radiance-general] coherent advice on running Radiance on win32

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Wed Jun 28 14:36:02 CEST 2006

Hi Iebele,

It sound's like Reflection X is a commercial X server? Some other
applications to consider that enable X on Windows might be:

    * Cygwing with XFree - I know that some people have bashed Radiance
      on Cygwin a bit, but getting the basic Cygwin plus X has be quite
      a reasonable solution for running remote X sessions to our Linux
      Radiance servers.
    * Mix - this is a commercial application that we have used in the
      past, it is quite stable. It is just an X server so it does not
      come with some of the applicaitons that a Cygwin setup might have.
      The cost is very reasonable ($25 US), check out:
      http://www.microimages.com/mix/

An alternative to all of this would be to run a VNC server/client setup.
Check out http://www.realvnc.com/ where they have free and commercial
clients and servers. This would provide the whole remote desktop in a
window on the local host.

Note also if you want to consolidate resources, instead of having two
pieces of hardware (windows box and linux box), you can try vmware
(www.vmware.com) to run a virtual instance of one operating system
within another. Thus giving you two "machines" on the same (1) physical
piece of hardware. I think I posted on this earlier.

Regards,

-Jack

iebele wrote:

>> But many of us have devised a workflow that allows a relatively
>> smooth transition from the modeling side -- usually done on Windows
>> systems -- to the rendering/calculation side, usually done on an OS X
>> Mac or a Linux box and found the benefits to be worth the efforts.
>
> Just to mention such a workflow that works fine:
> We have Refelction-X running on the windows-os machines. This tool
> allows us to open a shell using a variety of protocols on every
> unix/linux/mac machine available on the network. Reflection X allows
> us to intertface with Radiance and other unix tools/scripts using a
> native shell/xterminal from the unix box (bash, csh, etc) on a Windows
> pc (which runs 3d modelling, photoshop etc.). Reflection-X also allows
> rvu being displayed on a windows machine. This workflow asks for at
> least one 'radiance server' and a windows workstation. Reflection X is
> commercial software, I bought it for a low price from 2nd hand, but it
> is quite expensive new. There are other, cheaper comparable apps
> available which I do not recall at the moment.
>
> Cheers, Iebele

# Jack de Valpine
# president
#
# visarc incorporated
# http://www.visarc.com
#
# channeling technology for superior design and construction