[Radiance-general] Radiance and lightshelves

Nick Doylend ndoylend at battlemccarthy.com
Tue Jun 20 15:32:19 CEST 2006

I used a semi-specular 90% reflective plastic material for the shelf under
both cloudy and intermediate sunny skies.  I guess this explains why no
direct sunlight was being reflected.  I'll read up on the virtual light
source calculation and try using a mirror material later.  I'm still not
sure why I saw virtually no improvement in daylight distribution, even
without the direct reflection shouldn't there be some bouncing of diffuse
light deeper into the space.  I used quite a high ceiling reflectance and I
think I used sufficient ambient parameters, number of bounces etc.

The test room was based on the one in chapter 6, with a 500mm clerestory
window, 500mm internal projection and 750mm external projection.  I used
skies for spring, summer and winter at midday, latitude 51 degrees north: a
CIE cloudy sky, and four intermediate sunny skies rotated to give N S E W
orientations.

Nick