[Radiance-general] Illums Causing Shadows

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 17:44:33 CEST 2006

Hi Marcus,

I attempt to explain why illum's cast shadows on page 573 of
"Rendering with Radiance" (Figure 13.5).  The best workaround in your
case is to use a combination of direct subsampling (-ds) and direct
jitter (-dj) to make the shadows less noticeable.  In fact, they
should be there, but they shouldn't be so sharp.  Turning on
PENUMBRAS in rad will accomplish the same thing.

-Greg