[Radiance-general] rad and/or mgf to 3ds/dxf

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Jul 25 20:21:06 CEST 2006

Hi Greg!

> Whoops -- that's what I get for not reading e-mails carefully.
> Cristiano's e-mail arrived in such a tiny font that I could scarcely
> read it, though.  That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

;-) And that is the reason why I decided to read whatever email I get in
its native text format years ago... html is sooo useless for mails.

> I also naively thought that VRML-2 would be upwards compatible with
> VRML-1.  And I hadn't heard about the problems with floating point
> values before.  I should probably look into VRML-2 at some point.  In a
> parallel universe, I'm sure I have time for that.

Maybe we meet in the parallel universe, where our parallel egos have
plenty of spare time and money, on a nice sunny beach studying the
irradiance... ;-) Ok, in fact I described the problem some time ago
here, but I would agree that there are more important features than
vrml-export filters. Actually, my experiments with converting radiance's
scene language into xml using xslt's were a step to get models OUT of
radiance, e.g. to (the xml-coded) x3d. I just never managed to write a
x3d-output stylesheet. I'm sure I did in one of the parallel universes.

However, my point is that in 2006, I would not spend time on a vrml-2
filter, but, if I had, on x3d. It is really close to vrml, but cleaner
and all development power at web3d is going there.

Now I have to hurry, my train to Ankara won't wait, and I have to be
there tomorrow morning. CU Lars.