[Radiance-general] rad and/or mgf to 3ds/dxf

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Jul 25 07:56:42 CEST 2006

Hi!

> There is also a program distributed with Radiance called mgf2inv,
[...]

I think that is what Christiano tried. There are two point to consider
using mgf2inv. The first is, that it creates vrml-1. There are very few
programs reading vrml-1 worlds in our days, most vrml-parsers support
vrml-2 (aka vrml-97), and all development work goes to x3d. The second
is that I experienced problems with the notation used for floating
points in mgf2inv's output. That can be solved with some
printf-formatting strings. Note that mgf2inv uses a floating point that
conforms to the standard. Still, e.g. when I tried to import into formZ,
I had to change it. If you use those old vrml-1 parsers, be prepared to
find lots of bugs - most of these vrml-1 parsers have been more or less
neglected for years. You know that Blender reads vrml-1? Just break your
scene into parts, because Blender does not like to import very complex
scenes at once sometimes. And keep your units so that dimensions are not
exceedingly big or small.

Francesco, if you really managed to write an obj output-filter, that
would be GREAT!!!! Will have a look at it tomorrow. This would be my
prefered choice!

CU Lars.