[Radiance-general] splitting a render by light sources - rtcontrib

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 22:12:03 CET 2006

Hi Will,

The spotlight type is designed to make the calculation more efficient
by avoiding testing for light sources that don't stand to make a
contribution.  If you used the regular "light" type with a narrow
spot fixture, it would check for source visibility at all angles,
only finding out the contribution was zero afterwards.  Using the
spotlight source, you can preempt this test for angles past the
normal cut-off of the fixture.

This is less important since the introduction of adaptive shadow ray
testing way back in 1991, but it was left in there for legacy reasons
and because the code is handy for the virtual light source handling,
anyway.  (Long story.)

-Greg