[Radiance-general] MacBook Pro - Apple and Intel

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Wed Jan 11 18:39:22 CET 2006

Jack de Valpine wrote:

> Hey Rob and other Apple afficianados,
>
> Greg suggested that it might be worth it to by a mac-mini so I can run
> photosphere. Any hints, comments or otherwise about what might be a
> suitable configuration. As you know I am a Linux fanatic, so I really
> do not know that much about Apple configs.....

I haven't spent much time looking at minis, but from what I can tell,
for what you want to do, the base config (the $500 one Greg mentioned)
would be fine.  The other ones cost $100-$200 more for incremental cpu
speed increases and a DVD burner (which you probably already have).

Of course, once you start using OSX, you'll want to keep on using it,
for more than just Photosphere. Honestly, the only thing keeping a
Windows machine on my desk at work is AutoCAD.  Everything else is much
more pleasant to do on OSX, especially Radiance and all things command
line.  But I know you have a well-established workflow, so if you truly
only want this Mac hardware for Photosphere, I'd go for the basic $500
Mini.

- Rob "is it February yet?" Guglielmetti