[Radiance-general] MacBook Pro - Apple and Intel

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Wed Jan 11 16:50:29 CET 2006

Kirk Thibault wrote:

> From what I read leading up to this release, it was clear that Apple
> wanted to finally move its laptops to the next level, hence the Intel
> chipset.  I have a feeling that, as with most things Apple, there
> will be issues - but the Apple faithful (me included) are willing to
> be beta testers and see the bugginess as a badge of honor in some
> convoluted way (paying money to be a beta tester will do that to your
> rationalizing psyche I suppose).  It is weird to mention Apple and
> Intel as complements, but I think all Mac users (again, me included)
> realize Apple's shortcomings, even if we tend to defend the brand to
> the death.

I was a defender (and early-adopter of the PPC with a PowerMac 7600 (33
MHz!!)), then a hater for a few years as I grew tired of bomb icons and
the like, but it was Greg's statement that he got Radiance compiled on
OSX that brought me back to the fold.  It is really OSX that I love so
much, more so than Apple, but their product design is quite pretty too
(altho that magnetic power adapter looks a bit flaky).  Giulio, I hear
ya.  But it's been a long time since I've done the early adopter thing,
and I've been putting off upgrading my PB for a while as well, so I'm
gonna make the gamble.  I'll be sure and let you all know how it works
out; I ordered mine last night!

> I imagine that a 17" version of the Intel dual core laptop can;t be
> far behind..

Although it seems as if they lost money having three sizes and decided
to focus on the best seller, slightly increasing the size (15.4" instead
of the old 15").  It just may be the sweet spot.  Who knows?
Interesting times ahead...

- Rob