[Radiance-general] HDRI - Camera Response Curve

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Mon Jan 9 21:56:43 CET 2006

Hi Jack, all, Happy Happy, yadda yadda...

Jack de Valpine wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> Thanks for the follow-up on this. I think that I have gotten the white
> balance part correct. I always set it by hand (for example to the sun
> icon) so the auto white balance feature is effectively off. And I have
> used aperture priority on the camera however I have used auto
> bracketing, so maybe I am not getting enough samples? It sound like
> perhaps the best thing to do is set the aperture manually and vary the
> exposure time manually as well in order to generate your suggested ~10
> samples. Although doing everything manually involves a lot of
> unnecessary touch of the camera.

Yeah, for this calibration sequence, you definitely need more samples
than a typical auto-bracket will do.  Fixed aperture, varied exposure,
and shoot from a tripod if you can.  The Canon Rebels are really nice
because you can adjust the exposure with a little roller wheel; once you
have the WB and aperture set, you just roll the wheel & click, roll the
wheel & click, etc.  My Olympus requires a lot more futzing with menus
to do manual exposure and it's impossible to shoot a decent sequence w/o
a tripod.

> Once a response curve has been generated is there some way to check or
> validate it (if that makes any sense)?

I dunno about validating a response curve, but I'd expect you could
measure the scene with a luminance meter while you're shooting it, and
then compare those values to some samples from the hdr image.

> In the book (the new one;-) you also indicate that the darkest
> exposure should have no RGB values greater than ~200 and the lightest
> no values less than ~20. I could certainly figure out a filter routine
> with pcomb, however there must be a simple way to do this with
> ImageMagick. The point being to run a quick preprocess check on the
> the bounding images. Any takers or suggestions for how to do this easily?

I just open the high & low images in Photoshop and look at the
histogram.  Are you trying to figure out a way to automate this step
from the command line?