[Radiance-general] HDRI - Camera Response Curve

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Mon Jan 9 21:40:14 CET 2006

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the follow-up on this. I think that I have gotten the white
balance part correct. I always set it by hand (for example to the sun
icon) so the auto white balance feature is effectively off. And I have
used aperture priority on the camera however I have used auto
bracketing, so maybe I am not getting enough samples? It sound like
perhaps the best thing to do is set the aperture manually and vary the
exposure time manually as well in order to generate your suggested ~10
samples. Although doing everything manually involves a lot of
unnecessary touch of the camera.

So as to scene, clear sunny sky conditions would be ideal I suppose with
a range from shadowed features to direcly illuminated features... Sorry
for this next... So how do you use the luminance measure from the
reference card to further calibrate the response curve?

Once a response curve has been generated is there some way to check or
validate it (if that makes any sense)?

In the book (the new one;-) you also indicate that the darkest exposure
should have no RGB values greater than ~200 and the lightest no values
less than ~20. I could certainly figure out a filter routine with pcomb,
however there must be a simple way to do this with ImageMagick. The
point being to run a quick preprocess check on the the bounding images.
Any takers or suggestions for how to do this easily?

-Jack