[Radiance-general] Blender

Kirk Thibault kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com
Tue Feb 21 03:28:18 CET 2006

Jack,

See Thomas's comments below.  ;-)

I too see Blender as being a powerful complement to Radiance because
of the Python API, giving the Radiance end-user of Blender the
ability to extend Blender to suit the needs of Radiance.  It appears
that Thomas has some pretty impressive goals for integrating Blender
and Radiance even more tightly than I was imagining, but his ideas
fit exactly my personal opinion of what I picture Radiance to be - a
collection of tools that one can link together in endless
combinations to achieve the specific task at hand.  The open and
Python-scriptable nature of Blender makes this a natural extension of
the Radiance model.

Blender's modeling metaphor and control layout takes a little getting
used to but it is customizable, so if you are used to using the left
or right or middle mouse button to do certain things, etc. all that
is configurable.  I am not a CAD user, so I cannot compare the two to
your level of detail, however, it is fairly robust as a modeler,
supporting NURBS and Subd's, etc.  I suppose it depends on what you
are looking for it to do.  It may be that Blender is a middle step in
workflow that demands the precision of CAD and the flexibility to
condition that CAD output into something more Radiance friendly and
customizable.  As Thomas mentioned, it would make the perfect "set
up" tool - complex modeling in CAD, scene set-up, lighting and
material selection, etc. in Blender and tweaking, crunching and
analysis with Radiance's computing and analysis tools.  You can;t
beat the price.

I use Lightwave and Blender, mostly because I like trying the same
thing in different ways to see how each app handles my solutions.

Good luck!

kirk