[Radiance-general] obj2mesh, UV coordinates and image aspect

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at arcor.de
Mon Feb 20 21:42:38 CET 2006

On 20.02.2006, at 21:12, Kirk Thibault wrote:

> Interesting thing - I recently started using Blender 2.41 (from
> 2.37) and I hadn't gotten around to reinstalling b/rad.  So I
> downloaded the latest and copied brad.py into the ./blender/scripts
> folder and cp -R copied the "brad" directory into the ./blender/
> scripts directory as well, per the install instructions.  Now, when
> I go to Blender's "Scripts" interface to update the menus, the only
> scripts that appear in the scripts menus are the ones that are
> alphabetically before brad.py, (brad is not included).  As soon as
> I rm brad.py and the brad directory, the Blender Scripts menu is
> back to normal, with all of the available scripts as before.
>
> Any thoughts on why this happens?  if I manually load brad.py in
> Blender (into the test window) from the Scripts directory and then
> Alt-P (well, Option-P on the Mac) I get a console error telling me:
> ImportError: No module named brad_i18n - etc.

Hi Kirk.

I know Francesco did not have much time to keep b/rad in sync with
Blender development. I expect that the problems with the menu
are the result of a failed "import" of brad. The bundled scripts
are tested with Blender 2.41, brad is not.

I made b/rad work recently with an explicit "brad_path" setting.
I have made a few changes to the original file as well but i don't
think they are important.

As first step try to set "brad_path" to the directory where you
keep the "brad.py" and the "brad" directory, i. e.

brad_path = "/Users/kirk/blender/scripts/"

(around line 101 in brad.py; line count may differ but it is well
commented). That did the trick for me on OS X 10.4.4, Python 2.3.

> Mac OS X 10.4.4, G4 dual 1.25, Blender 2.41, Python 2.4 -

When your at Python 2.4 I think you know your way around Python
and OS X. Keep an eye on the imports in the script. If they fail
any error message could be the result. Perhaps add

try:
     import ...
     import ...
except ImportError, err:
     print "ERROR", err

to the import section to check this explicitly.

> brad.py is Rev 1.8 from Aug 11, 2005 (from CVS) and the rest is from
> brad 0.1b.  The same thing happened with the brad.py file original
> 0.1b release, etc.

I got my version sometime after September 2005 from Francesco's web
site (tar ball, not CVS).

> Thomas - pretty neat interface to brad from within Blender -
> I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Me too ;)

You can download the snapshots here:

http://home.arcor.de/tbleicher/blender/bliff/download.html

There is no tutorial and they are not tested much. I have not
yet separated the brad parts from the GUI toolkit so it's one
download. The zip file is fresh and contains today's texture
mapping update.

Don't get frustrated,

Thomas