[Radiance-general] OBJ2MESH - Phong smooth shading and texture mapping

Nicolas Roy nicolas.roy at VELUX.com
Wed Feb 15 16:38:00 CET 2006

This UV mapper tool is fantastic, I just made a test and both texture and
smooth shading was on. Thanks!

@                             nicolas.roy at VELUX.com
www                        www.VELUX.com

                 Kirk Thibault
                 <kthibault at biomechanicsinc.c
                 om>                          To
                                                      Radiance general discussion <radiance-general at radiance-online.org>
                 Sent by:                     cc
                 radiance-general-bounces at rad
                 iance-online.org             Subject
                                                      Re: [Radiance-general] OBJ2MESH - Phong smooth shading and texture  mapping

                 15-02-2006 15:55
                 Please respond to
                 Radiance general discussion
                 <radiance-general at radiance-o
                 nline.org>
                 Stationery name:
                 -Untitled-

If your application (CAD) does not explicitly include vertex normal
info (vn) try this application:

http://www.uvmapper.com/

it gives you great flexibility in the .obj output and also does a
nice job at automatically unwrapping .obj's for a UV map that you can
then paint on, etc.

I use Lightwave for some modeling and it does not export vn's in
its .obj file exports.  I use UVMapper (Poser will also append vn's)
and then use obj2mesh and it works fine.  Remember also to subdivide
your mesh within your CAD program to a good level of detail to help
the smoothing along.

kirk

Kirk L. Thibault, Ph.D.
kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com