[Radiance-general] Radiance under Mac

John Mardaljevic jm at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Feb 8 21:59:50 CET 2006

> John, you will like to hear this. One of our Postdocs bought a Mac Box
> and I am trying to install Radiance on it. At first I had trouble
> compiling Radiance since no ggc was on it. So I installed the gcc
> package. Now, it keeps on complaining that it does not find the
> standard
> libraries such as studio.h. Would anybody know off-hand which packages
> need to be installed on the Mac so that Radiance compiles? Also,
> when I
> use the pre-installed binaries, 'ximage' is missing the file
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib. Which package do I need to get that
> running?

Actually, Greg's the guy to answer this because it's so long since I
had to do anything to the install (it just keeps on working).  But
I'll try to remember as best as I can.  Firstly, you don't need to
install any special (i.e. non-Apple packages).  Just install the
developer tools in the standard release:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/developertools/
I think that includes X11:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/
Once done, gcc should be found in  /usr/bin/gcc  (version 4.00 in
Tiger).

Other than that, the only thing I can recall is having to create the
directory /usr/tmp and making it world-writeable.  The rest is
"standard" Radiance environment stuff.

Put the X11 application icon in the dock (it's in the Utilities
subdirectory of the Applications directory), and start that up before
running any Radiance display programs.

I think that's all (but I may have missed something out).

-John

Dr. John Mardaljevic
Senior Research Fellow
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK