[Radiance-general] macbethcal error

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Sun Feb 5 19:36:16 CET 2006

Howdy.

So, I'm trying to use the macbethcal utility for the first time, and am
getting an odd error.  The first time I tried to create a calibration
file I got an "out of gamut" error, which I understand points to a
poorly exposed gretag photo.  Before re-photographing everything, I
thought maybe cropping my gretag image to the registration marks may
help (lazy Sunday thinking).  But now, after cropping the photo and
re-creating the pic file, I now get the following error when running
macbethcal (macbethcal -d debug.pic mbscan.pic colorcal.cal):

macbethcal: non-increasing neutral patch

The resulting debug.pic is 59 bytes and is useless.  Two questions: how
can I get a better image to avoid the out of gamut error, and what
caused the error above?  I was using northern skylight on a fairly
cloudless day for my lighting, and f2.0 1/125 for all exposures.