[Radiance-general] Mac OSX, xgrid and RADIANCE

Randolph Fritz randolph at panix.com
Thu Sep 22 02:52:07 CEST 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Greg Ward wrote:

> Historically, there haven't been any problems with NFS or the lock
> manager under OS X (or any BSD-derivative).  It's only Linux that's
> been finicky on that count.  Arguably, we should really replace the
> NFS lock manager with something more reliable, and we've gone back
> and forth on how to do that, but I keep hoping the problem will go
> away.  Are people still struggling with it under Linux, or is it
> just the Windows version we have to start thinking about?  Last
> time I spoke with Jack (of Visarc), I think he said it was still a
> problem.

SunOS, which is also a BSD derivative, used to have major problems
with NFS locking, too--my guess is they are still there.  NFS file
locking is not a priority to any vendor or fropen development group I
am aware of, so its operability is catch as catch can.

I don't have any time to work on this (sigh), but it really is an
issue that needs attention.

Randolph