[Radiance-general] Mac OSX, xgrid and RADIANCE

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 01:49:26 CEST 2005

Well, I really have nothing to say about xGrid as I've never tried
it, so let me just say it.

I think it would be nice sometimes to have something that's
monitoring system use so it would send my jobs to the right machines
on LBNL's render farm.  Usually, I just put the jobs there manually
with ssh -f and coordinate with other users, but it's a bit haphazard
and things don't usually finish together.  That said, I'm not sure
how it works or if  it kills and restarts jobs or just stops them or
expects small ones or what.  Many Radiance jobs of course take hours
(or even days).

Historically, there haven't been any problems with NFS or the lock
manager under OS X (or any BSD-derivative).  It's only Linux that's
been finicky on that count.  Arguably, we should really replace the
NFS lock manager with something more reliable, and we've gone back
and forth on how to do that, but I keep hoping the problem will go
away.  Are people still struggling with it under Linux, or is it just
the Windows version we have to start thinking about?  Last time I
spoke with Jack (of Visarc), I think he said it was still a problem.

-Greg