[Radiance-general] rtcontrib & Linux

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:39:24 CEST 2005

With the help of Marija Cvetkovic, I found another problem with
rtcontrib, specific to Linux this time.  Apparently, the Linux
implementation of the fseeko(3) library call is broken.  This means
that the recovery (-r) option in rtcontrib will not work with files
larger than 2 GB under Linux.  It also means that we need to compile
rtcontrib with -Dfseeko=fseek for the time being, until they get this
fixed.  (I wouldn't hold my breath, given how long it's taken them to
fix other problems in little-used functions.)

I have added -Dfseeko=fseek to the Linux rmake in makeall in CVS, and
I recommend that anyone wishing to use rtcontrib under Linux modify
their rmake script manually by adding this define to the MACH="" line
there.  Then, using the latest rtcontrib.c, you can run "rmake
install" in your src/util directory and all should be well.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  I didn't think either of these problems
was worth a patch release, but I also want rtcontrib to work for
those brave souls who are trying it.