[Radiance-general] Obtaining RGB output data

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 05:22:20 CEST 2005

Hi Adriana,

Unless you use the -o option of pvalue, the output is not in any
particular units.  With the -o option, the reported RGB values are in
radiance units, i.e., watts/sr/meter^2.  However, it is probably
better for you to work directly in photometric units, which you can
easily do with the ra_xyze command,  like so:

% ra_xyze rendered.pic | pvalue -o [other options]

The "RGB" values reported will then be in calibrated CIE XYZ
coordinates (i.e., the Y channel will be luminance in cd/meter^2).

The only caveat to the above is if the pictures are rendered using
the -i option of rpict, then the output will be in units of
irradiance (watts/meter^2) in the first case, and illuminance (lux)
in the case where you apply ra_xyze.

Best of luck,
-Greg