[Radiance-general] starting rpict -S 1 -P pfile

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sat Oct 15 18:59:06 CEST 2005

Hi!

I am currently changing my Makefile that is doing some rendering. So
far, the views had been in the Makefile itself, each as one target. Now
I wanted to change this and use a viewfile together with the -P option
of rpict for multi-processing.

I am wondering now how to understand the manual. I used a line like
that:

rpict -S 1 -P pics.pfile -o pic%02d.pic scene.oct < scene.vf &

Because I thought that the rpict process must go to the background, so
that I can start the other processes with

rpict -P pics.pfile &

However, I did not get any output. So was the & after the first rpict
the problem? Will it read the scene and send itself to the background,
waiting for more processes? Or do I simply have to wait before starting
the second rpict, until the first one has read the entire scene?

TIA + CU, this multi-processor radiance stuff is really not easy...
Lars.

from my Makeile:

pics: scene.oct scene.vf
	rpict -S 1 -P pics.pfile -o pic%02d.pic scene.oct < scene.vf & \
	rpict -P pics.pfile & \
	rpict -P pics.pfile &