[Radiance-general] How to model a desk top lamp?

J. David Maino maino at psu.edu
Wed Nov 30 16:35:28 CET 2005

Steen,

I've found that the easiest way to deal with situations like this is to
use some sort of forward ray-tracing program such as TracePro to model
the luminaire you want with the materials that you want. Some of them
get quite in-depth with their materials libraries, so specifying exactly
what you want is generally not a problem. You should also be able to
define the source you want and set the lamp lumens appropriately. After
running the simulation, you can then output the distribution to an IES
file for use in Radiance. I'm sure there are ways to do this strictly in
radiance as well, but I'm not as familiar with the methods you might
use. If anyone else has experience using only radiance for this sort of
thing I would also be interested to hear how you did it as well.

Dave