[Radiance-general] Difference between .pic colours and traced ray colours

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:45:58 CET 2005

Hi Tarik,

I couldn't really follow your question:

> I'm wondering why when I view a .pic image I've created in HDRShop,
> the pixel
> values aren't the same as when I generate a text file of their colours
> using
> vwrays.

I first read this as if you had created the .pic in HDRShop, which
didn't make sense.  I assume now you are only viewing it with HDRShop.
What do you mean that the pixel values aren't the same?  The same as
what?  The same as eachother?  You are expecting them all to be the
same?  ??

> I wnat a green box's surface reflectances in the pic file so I do
>
> ./vwrays.exe -fd greenbox.pic | rtrace -fda `vwrays -d greenbox.pic`
> -ovm `if(s='green_plastic')` testroom.oct  | grep "green_plastic" >
> rays.txt

Ignoring the `if(s='green_plastic')` nonsense, which I'm hoping doesn't
do anything, this command might give you the luminance at each visible
point on the green surface, but not its reflectance.  If you want the
reflectance, just look at the Radiance scene file.  It's right there in
the definition of "green_plastic".