[Radiance-general] integrating lens system in Radiance

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 17:27:20 CET 2005

Hi Randhir,

You should read the 1995 SIGGRAPH paper by Craig Kolb, Don Mitchell and
Pat Hanrahan, "A Realistic Camera Model for Computer Graphics," which
you may find at the following URL:

	http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/camera/gamma-corrected/

Radiance's inherent camera model is indeed a pinhole, though there are
methods available for simulating depth-of-field using a synthetic
aperture.  Vignetting, coating effects, etc. are all beyond what
Radiance was designed to simulate in it's camera model.  You could
model the lens system and camera geometry in Radiance directly, I
suppose, but it would be a lot of work.  Calculating an image this way
would be quite expensive, but I think it's possible.

Have you considered using a more general optics simulation package,
such as TracePro?

	http://www.lambdares.com/products/tracepro/

-Greg