[Radiance-general] illuminate a 3ds with radiance

Giulio Antonutto Giulio.Antonutto at arup.com
Wed Mar 2 16:09:26 CET 2005

There are at least three different approaches:

obj2rad takes into account normals (if your program exports them properly)
unless you use the -f option (flat faces) - generates a RAD file (you can
compile and use instances)

ob2mesh does the trick - generates a MESH file (you need the mesh primitive)

3ds2mgf does the trick  - generates a RAD file (you can compile and use
instances)

I always prefer to use 3ds2mgf for quick things, like if I want to render
something with colors and smoothing without bothering about reflectance of
materials

I use obj2rad if I want to edit the material description properly

(for Cinema4d you need to xform the model to change Y and Z and smoothing do
not seem to work, don't know why...

It works well with FormZ though... boh! Mysteries of 3D world)

I use obj2mesh if there are complicate textures to consider.

All of them refer to tmesh.cal and surf.cal into your lib folder.

A quick note: the -s option you recall is used by gensurf to add smoothing
to your procedurally generated surface (not imported form any CAD).

Hope it helps,

giulio

   _____